Introduction: Caregivers of advanced cancer patients under palliation have many challenges. This is associated with a decline in their quality of life. Objectives: This study was conducted to determine the quality of life among family caregivers of advanced cancer patients attending the palliative care clinic of the National Cancer Institute (NCI) Maharagama. Methods: A total of 266 caregivers of advanced cancer patients under palliation participated in the study conducted. Patient’s data and Socio demographic data were collected. The assessment of the quality of life was done using the World health organization quality of life shortened version WHOQOL-BREF. Results: Majority of patients in this study was between 61-70 years and were male, while most of caregivers were between 41-50 years and were female. The mean scores of the physical, psychological, environmental and social domains in the QOL were 74.8%, 63.53%, 62.67% and 56.67% respectively. The mean score of the total QOL was 64.43. The QOL in every domain was lower than 75% while they were greater than 50%. Conclusion: The quality of life of the family caregiver was most affected in the social domain, followed by the environmental, psychological and physical domain. Family caregiver quality of life should be assessed and this will be a positive step towards cooperating support towards caregivers.
- Global cancer control: responding to the growing burden, rising costs and inequalities in access | Esmo Open. [cited 2020 Oct 14]. Available from: https://esmoopen.bmj.com/content/3/2/e000285. Accessed on: 2023/06/12.
- Roser M, Ritchie H. Cancer. Our World in Data [Internet]. 2015 Jul 3 [cited 2020 Oct 23]; Available from: https://ourworldindata.org/cancer. Accessed on: 2023/06/12.
- Cancer Incidence Data Book-2019_compressed.pdf [Internet]. [cited 2022 Nov 14]. Available from: https://www.nccp.health.gov.lk/storage/post/pdfs/Cancer%20Incidence%20Data%20Boo k-2019_compressed.pdf. Accessed on: 2023/06/12.
- National Policy & Strategic Framework on Cancer Pr.pdf [Internet]. [cited 2020 Oct 23]. Available from: https://www.iccp-portal.org/system/files/plans/LKA_B5_NCCPSL_POLICY.pdf. Accessed on: 2023/06/14.
- National Cancer Control Programme [Internet]. [cited 2022 Feb 16]. Available from: https://www.nccp.health.gov.lk/en. Accessed on: 2023/06/15.
- Higginson IJ, Finlay I, Goodwin DM, Cook AM, Hood K, Edwards AGK, et al. Do Hospital-Based Palliative Teams Improve Care for Patients or Families at the End of Life? Journal of Pain and Symptom Management [Internet]. 2002 Feb 1 [cited 2020 Oct 27];23(2):96–106. Available from: https://www.jpsmjournal.com/article/S08853924(01)00406-7/abstract. Accessed on: 2023/06/12.
- Hearn J, Higginson IJ. Do specialist palliative care teams improve outcomes for cancer patients? A systematic literature review. Palliat Med. 1998 Sep;12(5):317-32.
- McDonald J, Swami N, Hannon B, Lo C, Pope A, Oza A, et al. Impact of early palliative care on caregivers of patients with advanced cancer: cluster randomised trial. Annals of Oncology [Internet]. 2017 Jan 1 [cited 2021 Feb 18];28(1):163–8. Available from: https://www.annalsofoncology.org/article/S0923-7534(19)31911-8/abstract
- A Pilot Study of the Experience of Family Caregivers of Patients With Advanced Pancreatic Cancer Using a Mixed Methods Approach - Journal of Pain and Symptom Management [Internet]. [cited 2021 Feb 20]. Available from: https://www.jpsmjournal.com/article/S0885-3924(13)00536-8/fulltext
- Schubart JR, Kinzie MB, Farace E. Caring for the brain tumor patient: family caregiver burden and unmet needs. Neuro Oncol. 2008 Feb;10(1):61–72.
- Song JI, Shin DW, Choi JY, Kang J, Baik YJ, Mo H, et al. Quality of life and mental health in family caregivers of patients with terminal cancer. Support Care Cancer [Internet]. 2011 Oct [cited 2021 May 8];19(10):1519–26. Available from: http://link.springer.com/10.1007/s00520-010-0977-8.
- The World Health Organization quality of life assessment (WHOQOL): Position paper from the World Health Organization. Social Science & Medicine [Internet]. 1995 Nov [cited 2023 Jul 23];41(10):1403–9. Available from: https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/027795369500112K
- Grunfeld E. Family caregiver burden: results of a longitudinal study of breast cancer patients and their principal caregivers. Canadian Medical Association Journal [Internet]. 2004 Jun 8 [cited 2021 May 9];170(12):1795–801. Available from: http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/doi/10.1503/cmaj.1031205.
- Laizner AM, Shegda Yost LM, Barg FK, McCorkle R. Needs of family caregivers of persons with cancer: A review. Seminars in Oncology Nursing [Internet]. 1993 May 1 [cited 2023 Jul 23];9(2):114–20. Available from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S074920810580107X.
- Vellone E, Piras G, Talucci C, Cohen MZ. Quality of life for caregivers of people with Alzheimer’s disease. Journal of Advanced Nursing [Internet]. 2008 Jan [cited 2021 May 9];61(2):222–31. Available from: http://doi.wiley.com/10.1111/j.13652648.2007.04494.x
- Mellon S, Northouse LL, Weiss LK. A Population-Based Study of the Quality of Life of Cancer Survivors and Their Family Caregivers: Cancer Nursing [Internet]. 2006 Mar [cited 2021 May 9];29(2):120–31. Available from: http://journals.lww.com/00002820200603000-00007.
- Watson M. Psychological care for cancer patients and their families. Journal of Mental Health [Internet]. 1994 Jan 1 [cited 2023 Jul 23];3(4):457–65. Available from: https://doi.org/10.3109/09638239409003819
- WHO Quality of Life-BREF (WHOQOL-BREF) [Internet]. Addiction Research Center. [cited 2022 Oct 14]. Available from: https://arc.psych.wisc.edu/self-report/who-quality-oflife-bref-whoqol-bref/.
- Meegoda ML, Fernando S, Sivayogan S, Atulomah NOS. EXPLORINGTHE PREPAREDNESS OF FAMILY CARE GIVERS TO PROVIDE CANCER PALLIATIVE CARE. International Journal of Research -GRANTHAALAYAH [Internet]. 2019 Jun 30 [cited 2020 Nov 7];7(6):18–26. Available from: https://www.granthaalayahpublication.org/journals/index.php/granthaalayah/article/view/ IJRG19_A06_2368
- Abbasi A, Mirhosseini S, Basirinezhad MH, Ebrahimi H. Relationship between caring burden and quality of life in caregivers of cancer patients in Iran. Support Care Cancer [Internet]. 2020 Sep [cited 2022 Oct 26];28(9):4123–9. Available from: http://link.springer.com/10.1007/s00520-019-05240-y
- Castilla-Soto J, Jiménez-Ternero AI, de-la-Ossa-Sendra MJ, Barón-López FJ, ContrerasFernández E, Wärnberg J. Burden and quality of life in caregivers of cancer patients at the beginning of palliative care. CUIDPALCOSTASOL Study. Enfermería Clínica (English Edition) [Internet]. 2021 Jul [cited 2022 Oct 26];31(4):222–6. Available from: https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S2445147921000503
- Cengiz Z, Turan M, Olmaz D, Erce Ç. Care Burden and Quality of Life in Family Caregivers of Palliative Care Patients. Journal of Social Work in End-of-Life & Palliative Care [Internet]. 2021 Jan 2 [cited 2022 Oct 26];17(1):50–63. Available from: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/15524256.2021.1888844
- Rha SY, Park Y, Song SK, Lee CE, Lee J. Caregiving burden and the quality of life of family caregivers of cancer patients: the relationship and correlates. European Journal of Oncology Nursing [Internet]. 2015 Aug 1 [cited 2022 Oct 26];19(4):376–82. Available from: https://www.ejoncologynursing.com/article/S1462-3889(15)00012-5/fulltext
- Warnakulasooriya P, Kasturiaratchi K. Quality of life of caregivers with children having congenital heart disease awaiting cardiac surgery at the Lady Ridgeway Hospital for Children, Colombo, Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka Journal of Child Health [Internet]. 2020 Mar 5 [cited 2021 Feb 21];49(1):17–22. Available from: http://sljch.sljol.info/articles/abstract/10.4038/sljch.v49i1.8892/
- Alptekin S, Gönüllü G, Yücel İ, Yarış F. Characteristics and quality of life analysis of caregivers of cancer patients. Med Oncol [Internet]. 2010 Sep [cited 2021 May 9];27(3):607–17. Available from: http://link.springer.com/10.1007/s12032-009-9256-2
- Kitrungrote L, Cohen MZ. Quality of Life of Family Caregivers of Patients With Cancer: A Literature Review. Oncology Nursing Forum [Internet]. 2006 Jan 1 [cited 2021 May 9];33(3):625–32. Available from: http://onf.ons.org/onf/33/3/quality-life-familycaregivers-patients-cancer-literature-review
- Morishita M, Kamibeppu K. Quality of life and satisfaction with care among family caregivers of patients with recurrent or metastasized digestive cancer requiring palliative care. Support Care Cancer. 2014 Oct;22(10):2687–96.
- Lee KC, Chang WC, Chou WC, Su PJ, Hsieh C hsun, Chen JS, et al. Longitudinal Changes and Predictors of Caregiving Burden While Providing End-of-Life Care for Terminally Ill Cancer Patients. Journal of Palliative Medicine [Internet]. 2013 Jun [cited 2022 Oct 27];16(6):632–7. Available from: http://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/jpm.2012.0499
- Ribé JM, Salamero M, Pérez-Testor C, Mercadal J, Aguilera C, Cleris M. Quality of life in family caregivers of schizophrenia patients in Spain: caregiver characteristics, caregiving burden, family functioning, and social and professional support. International Journal of Psychiatry in Clinical Practice [Internet]. 2018 Jan 2 [cited 2022 Oct 24];22(1):25–33. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1080/13651501.2017.1360500